Friday, February 20, 2009

The introvert vs the extrovert

The older I get, the more introverted I seem to become. Suddenly, I am back to being the only child and playing on my own. Only difference is that this time, I quite like it.

It's weird, and if you know me you will go "Huh? YOU- introvert? Impossible!

But it is.

Maybe it's because I have been isolated for 9 months but even so, I still have managed to be sufficiently withdrawn without the attendant depressive issues.

I quite like living in my head. I like doing what I want to do, when I want to do it, simple because I want to- without having to give consideration for the fellow man. You can only do that when you are without the company of the fellow man. And I have always enjoyed my own company.

It could very well be that this is just me for such a time as this. And that I will get out there eventually but I have been out there and what's waiting is not something I need to be happy on a day-to-day basis.

So maybe it's a good thing that I am with the quintessential extrovert. The one with many friends and a flair for being with them. Yes I love to travel...but mostly to observe and maybe to partake, but still observing through participation. I love the outdoors. I love sports...but more in the stands than on TV. Still, all with the common observant denominator. I love to dance and listen to music and when I do that, I am simply lost in my own world, no matter where I find myself doing it.

Or could it be that I just get bored easily? Or maybe that there is just a time for everything under the sun? Or maybe, I am just tapping into the best thing that this remote place offers- me?

I am sure that I will not become anti-social- it's not in my genes, and even if it was, childhood socialization rubbed it out. Plus I am too curious about life and people to be permanently withdrawn.

But right now, it's really nice just to be alone when I want to be alone and step out in those moments when I crave the company of community and being with the fellow man.

4 comments:

Gia Fernandes said...

Hi! Was curious to see who was actually following my blog so I got here. But now I'm just honoured! I love your blog, it's a fabulous read. You write really well.
I can identify with this post so much. I'm exactly like you in this respect. In fact, I used to be painfully shy as a kid and people who know me now find that hard to believe.
I do love my time with myself but I agree with you when you say "...I am too curious about life and people to be permanently withdrawn."

Z said...

mostly to observe and maybe to partake, but still observing through participation. - that could be me talking.

Azikiwe said...

...even if you were an introvert you would still attract a type personality to share company with.
Great inventions towards human progress were made in solitude.

Sheer Almshouse said...

Ahhh.. I don't know about me making great inventions, but I do have a fancy for people who are "rare to well" mad.

Note to chicas in following post.

 
Copyright 2009 TwentySomething+ Monologue. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan