Saturday, March 21, 2009

One night vacation

I left work yesterday evening at 4:15pm. Work day ends at 4:00 on Fridays. I would have stayed later, because I was so involved with my quest for nose piercing research, but my boss who was the last to leave the office was on his way out, and I would not be left alone. So I came home.

On my way home, I wondered what on earth would I do with myself for the rest of the afternoon. It was a looong way before bedtime and a whole lot of useless hours in between. Never mind that there is always housework. That was not the time.

I took off my street clothes and turned on my Mac and starting browsing, catching up on some of my favourite blogs and reading the news from Dubai. Then the banker called.

"What are ya doing this evening?"
"I'm taking my car and driving to Negril, Jamaica."
"Take me with you."
"Sure. I've got plenty space."

I ended up going by her place, which sits smack dab at the end of the coastline. When I stepped up onto her front pavement which faces the sea, I was greated with the most beautiful picture of the sun sitting pretty right on the edge of the horizon. It was breathtaking.

Pausing to see the sunset is always such a cathartic experience. It makes you reflect on all the good things about life and the sheer passion of God's handiwork, painting fluid coloured pictures across the sky. I knew it was going to be a good evening.

We were assigned one bottle each- she a good merlot and me a chardonnay. I prefer whites these days, though I do like a good pinot noir, cabernet sauvignon, merlot on occasion and shiraz. And we chatted. We passed over the salmon and all the other culinary delights left over to the island with a real supermaket and settled on hot dog. The grill was fired up. And we grilled those dogs while a lighted cruise ship floated away from the island.

We chatted until past midnight. I stayed the night. I still do not feel comfortable driving alone at night and being from stricter DUI climes, preferred not to go behind the wheel after a few drinks. I was prepared for that possibility and so I prepared for bed and drifted off to peaceful slumber.

I woke up to a most beautiful morning. We sat on the porch before the sun came up enjoying a cool, strong sea breeze. We watched the tide passionately ebb and flow. We had brewed coffee and orange juice and chatted some more.

It was a good sisterly purge, which has left me feeling like I had a one night vacation.

2 comments:

Azikiwe said...

...makes all the difference !

Sheer Almshouse said...

yes it does

 
Copyright 2009 TwentySomething+ Monologue. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan