Tuesday, December 01, 2009

The song that never ends... cabbage juice is a serious thing

It seems like I am just making the weirdest decisions when it comes to the timing and combinations of things I ingest.

I juiced cabbage for ulcers and digestive regulation. I got gas. Mad gas. Stomach-cramping gas that kept me in the bathroom for yet another night in a row.

Took me over an hour to finally fall asleep when I got into bed at 4am- if you want to call that slumber. Woke up with pains.

I am certainly not hard-up but I feel like a combination the worst monster cramps ever and a badly shaken up bottle of coke with the cap still on.

I woke up to poor ESC rubbing my tummy in circles. Don't know if I was moaning in my sleep or what.

Yes, I am drinking ginger tea.

I wish I had access to DICA, which is the best OTC solution for trapped gas available in Jamaica. I should know. My cousins will tell you that I am periodically complaining of one digestive problem or another. I even secretly suspect that my body doesn't handle spices as well as my taste buds. But "Gas Queen" is not a title that sits well with me.

Funny enough, out of curiosity, I decided to research about the relationship between my discomfort and the cabbage juice... the journalist in me needs proof. Interesting discovery on www.happyjuicer.com:

Cabbage is a highly nutritional vegetable that can be put through your juicer to achieve juice with great healing powers. Juicing cabbage has a number of health benefits that have been documented over many years. Green cabbage contains a number of minerals and vitamins including potassium, sulphur, chlorine, iodine, vitamin C, vitamin B6 and 'vitamin U'.

To juice cabbage simply cut a segment out of the cabbage head and chop it into blocks small enough to fit down the juicer’s feeding chute.

When juicing cabbage you should not drink more than about 4oz of cabbage juice at a time and it is best mixed with other juices such as carrot / apple juice. The flavour combination of carrot and cabbage is well tested, as cabbage and carrot are the base ingredients of many varieties of coleslaws. Coleslaws are highly popular dishes that regularly appear in a raw food diet.

If you consume too much cabbage juice in one go then you may experience a feeling of gas and slight cramps in the intestine due to the sulphur in the cabbage juice reacting with bacteria that exist in the intestines.

Cabbage juice has been used to treat a number of health conditions including colitis, constipation, hair loss, skin problems but it is probably most well known for its ability to heal ulcers. It is believed that the glutamine content of cabbage is the main driving force behind the use of cabbage juice to heal ulcers.


Pity the said journalist in me didn't do her research before she got winded.

4 comments:

Dr Robert Berger, MS, MVSc, PhD said...

Glutamine is not the "main" driving force behind the use of cabbage juice to heal ulcers--you need to go PubMed.com and look up the work of Dr.Chaney at Stanford Medical in the early 1950's. After this, please go to www.Stomacin-U.com and find out the true science. The author of this article needs to e-mail me; drbobberger@stomacin-u.com or call me at 786-564-8883.

Dr. Robert Berger, MS, MVSc, PhD
Senior Scientist
Nature Best Products, LLC.
The Health Factory, Inc.
Sci-Facts Media Productions
(786)564-8883
Nature Best Products

Azikiwe said...

..this is edifying...I never knew cabbage juice was so therapeutic...

Sheer Almshouse said...

My youth... just remember the 40z limitation! Otherwise, you will pay dearly!

Dont know the dude who posted his own promo above... but I just decided not to censor. The views expressed are not those of SA cause quite frankly, I neither have interest nor inclination to check out the credibility of a self-promoting source.

The Masker said...

As with anything - do and use in moderation.

 
Copyright 2009 TwentySomething+ Monologue. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan