Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Enjoy Life

I rode with a Pakistani taxi driver who kept on saying "ENjoy Life" to me the other day. He spoke very little English. He asked me if I would love to hear music and I said "Yes." His reply? Bobbing his head from side to side and smiling, his eyes met mine in the rearview mirror. "Enjoy life."

We talked in the muddy waters lurking in between speakers of different languages about where I came from. "Not Kenya, Jamaica, West Indies....cricket." the last two rang a bell. His conclusion: "Enjoy Life."

I had reached my destination. "Shukaran," I said in Arabic.

"Enjoy Life," was his reply.

He wasn't the last taxi driver to use the verb "enjoy" frequently with me. I took note. Here it is, that a barely functional second language English speaker is telling me one of the most profound messages of the universe in my first language without even knowing it. Isn't that how God speaks?

So, on this day, acknowledging that though I am very far from where I want to be, I am going to be an active participant in the ride and "Enjoy life" as it unveils daily, and a la minute.

Aha! Moments are present continuous.

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 TwentySomething+ Monologue. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan