Sunday, December 07, 2008

Petted and Pampered

I feel like a girl again.

The 13 year old who would spend hours in the bathroom, soaking in the tub, shaving non-existent legs hairs, trying new homemade facials, and plucking every stray hair threatening to ruin perfectly arched sparse eyebrows. Those were the days when I embraced the woman I was becoming and had all the time in the world to bring her out in the confines of the bathroom after my Saturday chores were completed.

It was a beautiful and silly kind of self love. I was too pure and innocent for it to be for anyone but me. And it had to be done in hiding because my Daddy needed not yet another clue that his baby girl was growing up.

Isnt it fitting that the Bee Gee's "More than a Woman" is playing now on my iPod?

It's funny, because as you get older, the novelty of doing all this stuff yourself becomes a chore and you would rather pay someone and spend all day in a salon/spa and have others handle your fragile parts with care, but ever so often, it's nice to kind of do it alone at home.

And the thing is that it always takes me back to the peach bathtub and my 13 year old self, especially when like today, it's not for any particular purpose, and there is absolutely nobody else to please but me.

Today my youngest sister turns 16. Happy birthday my love. I really hope that you will cherish these years of purity and innocence and wide eyed enthusiasm cause once you grow up, you will have to resort to rare solo bathroom pampering sessions to bring out that little girl in you. Well, duh! Its not so bad... but still... love you lots and lots while thats all you really have to worry about.

It will pay off later on- I promise.

3 comments:

Azikiwe said...

....this is quite encouraging…I can't wait to be a 16 year old girl…

;-))

Francia M said...

awww! I love this post! I'm back checking the blogs again. Been swamped. miss you. thanks for the reminder of what is was like being 13 again. I laugh at myself remembering my first attempt at being grown by shaving. lord have mercy. So much laughter remembering. love hugs and kisses!

Sheer Almshouse said...

I need to do this again. Need to go in search of bath salts though. But yes... feeling like 13 is not such a bad thing after all :)

Sending all that love back ya!

 
Copyright 2009 TwentySomething+ Monologue. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan