Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Getting out of my comfort zone

I see withdrawn patterns from Island Behind God's Back re-emerging and I am nipping it in the bud. I cannot afford to go back to that place mentally. So much so that instead of going back to bed after ESC leaves, I am drinking my green tea and making the damn bed and opening the drapes to let some light in.

ESC told me to do something exceptional today.

"Take the train."

Taking the train here is exceptional for a few reasons. The railway is above ground and provides an excellent tour of the city. The second, and more compelling reason is that it is the largest network of unmanned rail in the world. That's the part that is also a little daunting. But yes, I do need to get out more and go far beyond my usual exploit of our neighbourhood mall.

Dubai is not NYC so it means I have to do more and go further to see more.

They are lots of museums and galleries too. Restaurants are among the best in the world but those come with a hefty price tag.

I have books to read and there are free rides to several beach properties from his hotel chain right outside my door.

I have lots of writing to do... and plans to make for me... and I need to get that engine rolling.

Here's that saying again that my granny would tell me as a child.

"Do something before something do you."

There is certainly much more to life in the middle east that sitting at the computer everyday on facebook and allowing precious hours to tick by.

1 comments:

Gia Fernandes said...

Thank you for sharing Granny's wisdom.
I'm stuck in such a rut and my biggest fear is that "something" is going to do me, one of these days!
Good luck with your new life in Dubai and please keep inspiring me, and everyone else.

 
Copyright 2009 TwentySomething+ Monologue. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan